19 January 2007

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

mother at peak of irritating behaviour today. probably because of my declaration that i will be leaving this stinkin' island in the coming week. she was asking about my plans, etc etc. when i will be leaving, how the housing is being arranged, blah blah blah.

she walks in while i was in the middle of blogging, and asks "how now?" we both know very well what she means, but she narrows down the choices by following up with, "how are your flights?" (that's the literal translation form chinese. essentially she is asking what has been done about it.) so i, unnerved, said that there is nothing yet. and she walks out, shutting the door behind her. (almost, anyway. the door sags and never fully closes when pulled gently.) at which point i decided that i should just as well book my tickets even without a response from my sister with whom i am supposed to stay for a few nights. so i went and booked a return flight on a budget airline, even though it arrives midnight. i don't care. i can always crash with a friend on the first night, i figured. they are usually awake at that hour, while my sister and brother-in-law are not.

i don't understand my family. my parents, especially. my mother, in particular. she wants me to stay, she whines and feels bad if i tell her i want to go away. but upon my return, my room has been turned upside-down and my things are missing. prior to my leaving, they bug me with all sorts of questions as if they are itching to get rid of me.
i don't know if it's the way my family speaks, or if it's simply my perception. every question is loaded. a sampling of common questions and what they mean.
  • where are you going? - you're going out again?!?!
  • what's happening with that job offer of yours? - you're still unemployed???
  • what's for dinner? - you're cooking, aren't you?
  • are you busy? - can you do something for me?
  • when are you leaving? - aren't you supposed to be gone yet?
i have a few more days left in this city. so close yet so far. again, i feel like i would be more than glad to leave. my family really has that effect on me. unfortunately.

No comments: