22 December 2007

super inday forever

it's official. my role in life (at least, when it comes to my family) is to be substitute maid.

i come home from my surfing weekend to find a house without any of the househelp. actually, i was commanded to come home earlier BECAUSE of the want for household help. ce'st la vie.

so the past week i have been taking care of the laundry and the meals and the overall state of the house. i feel that i am more of the matron of the household than the actual matron. on the bright side, mother - for the first time in my entire lifelong bondage - has complimented me on my good job at putting everything in order for my sister + brother-in-law + niece's arrival. and she attributes it to my independence in the island i now call home. shyeah, right.

for the first time in my entire housekeeping career, i actually felt like a housewife. yesterday, at least. when everyone left the house and i got a bit of peace and quiet, i was relieved. nay, i was glad to be rid of them and have the chance to attend to business on my own, sometimes of my own. i think i am beginning to understand where term 'desperate housewives' came from.

mother is beginning to seem worse for the wear. either that, or she's just less inclined to put some back into tackling the house chores. maybe a bit of both. she's always prioritised her career before her family. which does wonders for her relationships with her daughters, but we're not going into that. (but since i've started on it, let's just say that there's a bit of chicken-and-egg thing going on with that.)

i am beginning to see why friends have voted me as having most mother potential. but at the same time, i'm not ready to go that far just yet.

i'm single and happy, thankyouverymuch.

No comments: