28 December 2006

it makes me sick

looking for an architectural job. i know, i know, this is the profession i got myself into. but that doesn't mean i have to love it. or at least, not all of it.

i was just browsing through my weblinks of recruitment companies in the city i left. while i looked through the job placements available... this strong abhorrence rose in the very core of me. i skim the ads and i absolutely LOATHE the things i've read. i sneer and think "sure, what are the chances that i'll get hired by YOU?"

part of the reason i hate the profession is because i know i'm not good enough. i am not made for this kind of shit. i can appreciate good architecture when i see it. but i can't make good architecture. and in a world where competition is main storyline - well, i can't compete. not. a. chance. especially not in a developed society. especially when i come from the backwaters of the developing world.

i cringe at the words "design flair" and "post-qualification experience" and "strong visual communication skills" - not me, not me, not me. so what kinds of jobs are left? architectural technician. also known as CAD-monkey. nothankyou.

you know what the saddest thing about this is? people feel that it will be a waste if i decide to change careers. ten years of architecture down the drain. ten years of blood, sweat and more than enough tears to last ten lifetimes. but they don't realise - ten years is a pretty good price to pay if the other option is a lifetime of misery. which i know it will be.

i was born to write. i was born to think. these are my gifts. and to deny me the chance to use them - and have fun doing it - is to deny me a chance to live. or at least, to live as i ought.

1 comment:

RT said...

wahhh... i could so relate. dunno if it's the quarter life crisis or what, but i'm torn between staying in a secure job (i think) or pursuing the things i really want to do. the society seems to be pressuring me to be more pragmatic and less idealistic, but it's easier said than done.

thanks, glad to know i'm not alone in this.